This is the main conference room in Old College. It contains two paintings from HM The Queen’s Collection; Queen Victoria reviewing the Imperial Contingents at Windsor during the Diamond Jubilee in 1897, by Richard Caton Woodville, and HM King Edward VII presenting Victoria Crosses for the South African War on Horse Guards Parade in 1901, painted by Ernest Crofts.
The portico was designed by John Sanders, Barrack Architect, in 1808, and based on an earlier design by the famous architect, James Wyatt, who also designed the main building of the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich.
Above the entrance are statues of the gods Mars (War) and Minerva (Wisdom), supporting the coat of arms of King George III.
This room, which is used for meetings, contains items presented to the Academy by overseas Heads of Government and representatives of their Armed Forces.
This room was originally the chapel of the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, and was consecrated in 1813. However, when the number of Gentlemen Cadets rose following the abolition of the purchase system for commissions, it was no longer big enough to act as a chapel and became, in turn, a model room, a museum, and later a cadet dining room where Winston Churchill dined while a Gentleman Cadet in the 1890s.
The original function of this room is unknown but, when the RMAS opened in 1947, it became the Old College Quiet Room. It is now the Commandant's official office in Old College, but is ued for meetings and receptions. In 1956 it was renamed the Hastings' Room after Francis Rawdon Hastings, 2nd Earl of Moira and Governor-General of India.
The Lord Room is named after RSM J C Lord, MVO MBE, who was the first RMAS Academy Sergeant Major from 1948 until 1963. The paintings in this room relate to the Eyre Coote family. The small painting, by the famous German painter Johann Zoffany, is of the capture of Pondicherry by Colonel Eyre Coote. The large portraits show his nephew, Sir Eyre Coote, Governor of Jamaica, his wife and son, Lieutenant Eyre Coote.
This room is named after John Churchill, the first Duke of Marlborough (1650-1722). After a successful career as both a soldier and a courtier during the reigns of Charles II, James II, and William and Mary, he commanded the Allied Armies in the Low Countries, between 1702 and 1711 during the war against France. He won a series of notable victories including the battles of Blenheim (1705), Ramillies (1706), and Malplaquet (1709) and is widely recognised as one of the greatest soldiers Britain has produced.
The RMAS History Room seeks to tell the story of the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich from 1741 to 1939, the Royal Military College, Sandhurst from 1802 to 1946 and the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst from 1947 to the current day, using a combination of historic artefacts and display panels.
The Wellington Room is named after Arthur Wellesley, the First Duke of Wellington (1769 - 1852). This room contains a number of prints and paintings depicting the Duke of Wellington's famous victories during the Napoleonic War. The majority of the works relate to the Battle of Waterloo on 18 June 1815 which ended that war.