This is the main conference room in Old College. It contains two paintings from HM The Queen’s Collection; Queen Victoria reviewing the Imperial Contingents at Windsor during the Diamond Jubilee in 1897, by Richard Caton Woodville, and HM King Edward VII presenting Victoria Crosses for the South African War on Horse Guards Parade in 1901, painted by Ernest Crofts.
The other two paintings in this room are portraits of Lieutenant Generals Sir Harry Jones and Sir George Murray. Both of these men were veterans of the Peninsula War and Governors of the Royal Military College, Sandhurst.
The Royal Military College originally had a Governor as its titular head, a Lieutenant Governor who commanded the college, and a Commandant, responsible for the Gentlemen Cadets, though these two posts were combined in 1812. The Governor had mainly ceremonial duties and the post was held between 1800 and 1870 by a series of elderly Generals. In 1888 the post of Lieutenant Governor was abolished and the title Commandant was added to that of Governor. The title Governor was itself discontinued in 1902 and since then only the title Commandant has been used.Back to the Prestige Rooms