The original function of this room is unknown but, when the RMAS opened in 1947, it became the Old College Quiet Room. It is now the Commandant's official office in Old College, but is ued for meetings and receptions. In 1956 it was renamed the Hastings' Room after Francis Rawdon Hastings, 2nd Earl of Moira and Governor-General of India.
In 2011 the room was renamed the Le Marchant Room after Major General John Gaspard Le Marchant (1766 - 1812) who founded the Royal Military College. Le Marchant was a cavalry officer and devised a series of sword exercises for training cavalry troops. His experiences in Flanders during the early phases of the French Revolutionary War also convinced him of the necessity of giving cavalry and infantry officers some pre-commissioning training. Up to that point only Artillery and Engineer Officers underwent officer training before they were commissioned.
Major General Le Marchant founded the Royal Military College in 1799 from which grew the Army Staff College and the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. Le Marchant did not live to see the completion of the Royal Military College buildings at Sandhurst, as he was killed leading a cavalry charge at the Battle of Salamanca in 1812.Back to the Prestige Rooms